- A type of personal computer.More example sentences
- I have been developing software for the Mac for over 20 years.
- Lest everyone think me a Luddite, I ordered my first Mac in January 1984.
- The appeal of a low cost Mac isn't hard to see.
1980s: from Macintosh, the brand name of a range of computers manufactured by Apple Inc.; the range was named after a variety of dessert apple (see McIntosh).
nounNorth American • informal
- A form of address for a man whose name is unknown to the speaker: haven’t seen you for a while, MacMore example sentences
- Hey Mac, you're going home!
- Hey Mac, I need a favor!
early 17th century (originally a form of address to a Scotsman): from Mac-, a patronymic prefix in many Scots and Irish surnames.
nounBritish • informal
- A mackintosh.More example sentences
- This can only mean that Martine McCutcheon must own a Burberry mac too, hence minus points.
- There probably won't be a single mac or trilby hat in sight at the Novotel on Saturday, he said.
- Because of the rain I've had to wear it with my Burberry mac, but it goes with it, so all is not lost.
early 20th century: abbreviation.