A medium-sized, chiefly forest-dwelling Old World monkey which has a long face and cheek pouches for holding food.
- Genus Macaca, family Cercopithecidae: several species, including the rhesus monkey
More example sentences
- A lot more is known about cercopithecines, such as macaques, baboons and vervets, because many of them are ground-dwelling monkeys which are relatively easy to study.
- Those species were chimpanzee, gorilla, orangutan, gibbon, macaque and owl monkey.
- Primate species are gibbons, langurs, lorises and macaques.
late 17th century: via French and Portuguese; based on the Bantu morpheme ma (denoting a plural) + kaku 'monkey'.
More definitions of macaqueDefinition of macaque in:
- The US English dictionary