(also mackinaw coat or jacket)
- A short coat or jacket made of a thick woollen cloth, typically with a plaid design.More example sentences
- I do not remember too much about Earl except that he must not have been too bright because he was wearing a black-and-white mackinaw - a heavy coat - in the summer.
- The girl described the driver of the van as a Caucasian man wearing a black and green work jacket, possibly a mackinaw.
- From the Indian languages come chipmunk, mackinaw (a bush jacket), moose, muskeg (boggy, mossy land), muskrat.
early 19th century: named after Mackinaw City, Michigan, formerly an important trading post.
More definitions of mackinawDefinition of mackinaw in:
- The US English dictionary