- 1A diamond or other crystal that is twinned.More example sentences
- Almost all the creeks that have produced gold crystals have produced triangular spinel-twinned crystals or macles.
- Flattened contact twins are known in the gem trade as macles.
- Good brown macle twins up to several carats in weight have been available in recent years from the Udachnaya mine.
- 2 another term for chiastolite.More example sentences
- The chiastolite, or macle, shows the representation of a cross on its surface, this effect being produced by the regular arrangement of carbonaceous impurities along the axes of the crystal.
- The variety chiastolite (also called cross-stone, or macle) forms long prisms in a cross section.
early 19th century: from French, from Anglo-Latin mascula 'mesh'.
More definitions of macleDefinition of macle in:
- The US English dictionary