Definition of macronutrient in English:
1A type of food (e.g. fat, protein, carbohydrate) required in large amounts in the diet.
- All athletes require a well balanced diet containing the essential macronutrients of meat, fish, dairy products, fruit and vegetables, cereals and bread.
- Identifying macronutrients on the dinner food plate is easy.
- Lipids are believed to be an important macronutrient for baboon diet selection, especially during the winter months, which may explain the use of such unlikely resources as E. ingens.
2A chemical element (e.g. potassium, magnesium, calcium) required in large amounts for plant growth.
- Phosphorus is one of three macronutrients needed by growing plants, the other two being nitrogen and potassium.
- It indicates that there are measurable reductions in use of chemical fertilizers - most farmers use a combination of compost, animal manure or crop rotation to maintain fertility and replace macronutrients.
- Lodhiyal et al. pointed out that the major macronutrients limiting the production of a forest crop are N, P and K.
Definition of macronutrient in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Pakistan