(also madroña /-njə/)
noun (plural madroños)
- An evergreen tree related to the strawberry tree, with white flowers, red berries, and glossy leaves, native to western North America.
More example sentences
- Arbutus menziesii, family Ericaceae
- They were given this elegant new home in the 18th century and now more than 30,000 plants are on display, including the madroño or Strawberry Tree which is now the city's symbol.
- More leaping tree squirrels, more ruddy madroños and majestic oaks, more fairy circles of redwoods, and, still beside the singing stream, they passed a gate by the roadside.
mid 19th century: from Spanish.
More definitions of madroñoDefinition of madroño in:
- The US English dictionary