1The fact or condition of being a young, unmarried woman.
- Are there not charms by which the property of youth and maidenhood may be abused?
- Three of the plays deal with young women about to be married but who still enjoy the relative freedom of maidenhood.
- I have waited long enough; I have got tired of maidenhood.
1.1A girl’s virginity: most brides wear white to symbolize maidenhood
More example sentences
- He wanted me to be kept so I could be married to a prince or king with my maidenhood intact.
- In one novel the deserted maiden loses a lock of hair, in the other her maidenhood.
- While most brides today marry in white (which symbolizes maidenhood), the tradition is only as old as the 16th century.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: maid¦en|hood
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.