- 1The verb in a main clause.More example sentences
- An intermediate step is to put the ‘using’ clauses between the object and the main verb, like this.
- Maybe Dickens needed a good sub-editor to remind him that the rules require sentences to contain proper main verbs.
- This was ‘translated’ from German, as shown by the placement of the main verb at the end of the sentence.
- 2The head of a verb phrase, for example eat in might have been going to eat it.More example sentences
- The combination of helping verbs with main verbs creates what are called verb phrases or verb strings.
- When writing the rule, always use the base form of the main verb and any auxiliary verbs.
- It appears that the semi-modals are hybrid forms, combining characteristics of both main verbs and auxiliary verbs.
More definitions of main verbDefinition of main verb in:
- The US English dictionary