- 1Remove all unwanted people or things ready to start afresh: in 1917 many Soviet communists wanted to make a clean sweep of the discredited old orderMore example sentences
- I have frequently condemned it and wished to make a clean sweep of it.
- For a man with a broom wanting to make a clean sweep of city hall, one couldn't ask for a better place to start.
- Back in the heady dotcom days, it seemed as though online polling was poised to make a clean sweep of market research - revolutionizing the way companies conducted quantitative and qualitative research.
- 2Win all of a group of similar or related sporting competitions, events, or matches: Annadale are almost certain of making a clean sweep of the male athletics competitionsMore example sentences
- Zambia squash aces dominated the recently-ended East Africa squash safari circuit, by making a clean sweep of all three titles on the Kenya tour.
- It was Cooke's first appearance at the Sportcity venue since making a clean sweep of the national youth titles over seven years ago.
- Thus he made a clean sweep of all the events he participated in.
More definitions of make a clean sweepDefinition of make a clean sweep in:
- The US English dictionary