1A native or inhabitant of the Maldives.
- Foreigners are not allowed to overnight on islands inhabited by Maldivians and special permission is required to visit them.
- The Maldivians are called ‘the sea-people ‘by their neighbours in Sri Lanka.’
- And don't expect to find any bars outside the resort islands - Maldivians are forbidden by law to consume alcohol.
2 [mass noun] The Indic language spoken in the Maldives, related to Sinhalese.
- When you need an interpreter because you're Maldivian customer is visiting and they only speak Maldivian, you need a reliable accurate interpreting service.
Relating to the Maldives, their inhabitants, or their language.
- The motive now becomes clear as the trawler re-appeared in Maldivian territorial waters on May 17.
- He reaffirmed that the Maldivian government will continue to observe the one-China policy.
- There is also good news for the Maldivian fishing industry, with the tsunami causing little change in fishing conditions.
Words that rhyme with MaldivianBolivian, oblivion, Vivian
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: Mal|div¦ian
Definition of Maldivian in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.