A crystalline acid present in unripe apples and other fruits.
- Chemical formula: HOOCCH2CH(OH)COOH
More example sentences
- The mixture of fruit acids may include citric acid, glycollic acid, lactic acid, malic acid and tartaric acid.
- And the tangy apple flavour found in most Chardonnays comes primarily from malic acid, the tart acid found in apples.
- In some species, there may be oscillations of citric acid in addition to malic acid.
late 18th century: malic from French malique, from Latin malum 'apple'.
Definition of malic acid in:
- The US English dictionary