Definition of mallee in English:
1A low-growing bushy Australian eucalyptus which has several slender stems.
- Genus Eucalyptus, family Myrtaceae: E. dumosa and other species
- Trees and Acacia species were planted 1m apart and mallees were planted 0.5m apart in view of later thinning.
- At the moment there are 900 farmers involved in planting oil mallees, and 20 million trees in the ground.
- In 2007 we will be contributing 20,000 oil mallees in areas prone to land degradation.
1.1 (also mallee scrub) [mass noun] Scrub which is dominated by mallee, typical of some arid parts of Australia.
- The property stretches for about 60 km from north to south through a tremendous mix of flood plain country and mallee.
- This contraption would knock down most of the mallee which would later be burned.
- Australia could only become really productive in terrain, soil, and vegetation as unique and perplexing as the mallee and the black soil plains, after it had forged its own slow agricultural revolution.
1.2 (the Mallee) Any semi-arid area of mainland Australia which has mallee scrub as its principal natural vegetation: moving to the Mallee was a major culture shock
More example sentences
- The bonnet flipped up on me in a dust-storm from the Mallee.
- Don't bother camping in the Mallee with the Mallee Fowl popping an egg out every 4–6 days until January.
- Even in the Mallee, the driest region in the state, water pipelines have ensured reasonable cover of grass.
Mid 19th century: from Wuywurung (an Aboriginal language).
Words that rhyme with malleeAli, alley, Allie, Ally, bally, dally, dilly-dally, farfalle, galley, Halley, Mexicali, pally, Raleigh, rally, reveille, sally, tally, valley
Definition of mallee in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.