noun (plural mallei /ˈmalɪʌɪ/)Anatomy
- A small bone in the middle ear which transmits vibrations of the eardrum to the incus.More example sentences
- The air pressure on either side of the eardrum is normally kept equal for proper functioning of the middle ear structures, namely the malleus, incus and stapes bones.
- Urbantschitsch has provided detailed measurements of the malleus, incus and the stapes.
- In mammals they are called the malleus, incus and stapes.
mid 17th century: from Latin, literally 'hammer'.
More definitions of malleusDefinition of malleus in:
- The US English dictionary