An order of insects that comprises the biting lice. See also Phthiraptera.
- We found feather mites and feather lice (Mallophaga) on all species of birds and at every site.
- If that were also the case in Barn Swallows, individuals with a high parasite load would have to increase their foraging efficiency through an increase in flapping flight to balance the extra metabolic cost due to Mallophaga.
- However, none of the birds in our sample suffered from feather breakage when filmed, and effects of Mallophaga on flight behavior through breakage can therefore be excluded as an explanation for our results.
mallophagan noun& adjective
- Example sentences
- While these mouthparts are not primarily designed to pierce skin some mallophagans do feed on blood.
- Mites and mallophagan lice should be preserved and stored in 70% isopropyl alcohol.
- The head of the mallophagan is wider than the prothorax.
Modern Latin (plural), from Greek mallos 'lock of wool' + -phagos 'eating'.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: Mal|loph¦aga
Definition of Mallophaga in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.