noun[mass noun] Law
- A judicial writ issued as a command to an inferior court or ordering a person to perform a public or statutory duty: an order of mandamusMore example sentences
- Because if one is speaking about prohibition and mandamus, prohibition and mandamus are concerned with duties.
- A writ of mandamus was sought and granted by the High Court.
- No error of law has been shown that would attract the writ of mandamus.
mid 16th century: from Latin, literally 'we command'.
More definitions of mandamusDefinition of mandamus in:
- The US English dictionary