(also mandapam /ˈmʌndəpʌm/)
- 1(In southern India) a temple porch.More example sentences
- Outside the main entrance to the temple is a stone mandapam and around this area are several shops that sell anything from lead and stone vessels to brass and bronze prayer items.
- Once he reached the temple, he was thrilled and ecstatic and, threw away all his clothes and entered the mandapam only in a small piece of loincloth.
- The original mandapam where the king used to rest while visiting the temple is quite unrecognisable now.
- 1.1A temporary platform set up for weddings and religious ceremonies.More example sentences
- According to the police, additional security would be provided around the mandapam where the wedding is scheduled to take place.
- He is then escorted to the mandap while the rest of the party takes seats among the audience.
- She was ceremoniously brought to the mandapam by the groom's maternal uncle.
from Sanskrit maṇḍapam.