Required by law or mandate; compulsory: wearing helmets was made mandatory for pedal cyclists
More example sentences
- In some jurisdictions this is a mandatory sentence of death.
- Murder entails a mandatory life sentence; manslaughter carries with it no minimum sentence.
- The 1997 Act introduced mandatory minimum sentences for certain repeat offenders.
noun (plural mandatories)
variant spelling of mandatary.
- Example sentences
- For bolstering his ego and political luster he depended also on occasional mass rallies, for which tens of thousands of citizens were mandatorily mustered to express - or anyway, feign - adulation.
- And lastly, we need to mandatorily register outgoing workers and provide them with incentives so that they will register as it has been done in Sri Lanka.
- Residents will be mandatorily evacuated beginning tomorrow.
Words that rhyme with mandatorymandatary
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: man|da¦tory
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.