Definition of mandible in English:
nounAnatomy & Zoology
1The jaw or a jawbone, especially the lower jawbone in mammals and fishes.
- The tongue is suspended from the inside of the mandible above the hyoid bone and has muscles with a range of different orientations.
- In the mandible, there are four incisors, two canines, four premolars, and six molars.
- Most use their maxillae and mandibles to take in food.
1.1Either of the upper and lower parts of a bird’s beak: the drake is all black except for an orange mark on the upper mandible
More example sentences
- The upper mandible of the bill is dark, and the legs are bright orange.
- Breeding adults have a laterally flattened horn on the upper mandible.
- The bill is a pinkish horn color and dark markings appear on the upper mandible.
1.2Either half of the crushing organ in an arthropod’s mouthparts.
- They crush the honeybees in their mandibles one after another until the bees are all dead.
- Centipedes were measured from the tip of the upper mandible to the posterior end of the last body segment.
- The trap-jaw ant fires its mandibles with such force to propel itself to the front of the pack.
- Example sentences
- Chewing is a cyclic motion of the mandible and tongue apparatus, whereby food is reduced between the maxillary and mandibular teeth.
- The left mandibular fragment contains the roots of five erupted teeth, one erupted tooth crown, and one unerupted tooth.
- He found this method of mandibular reconstruction to be reliable particularly in irradiated tissue beds.
- Example sentences
- In addition, we have been studying the orthologous genes in the red flour beetle, which has relatively unspecialized mandibulate mouthparts.
- Delayed induced effects have been studied almost exclusively with mandibulate insects.
- Yet the actual morphology of mandibles is very different, a result of distinct mandibulate and haustellate modifications.
Definition of mandible in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan