- The mandrake, especially when used as a narcotic.More example sentences
- Among the plants and herbs that were sacred to Hecate was the mandragora or mandrake.
- There were attempts at anesthesia to reduce pain: sponges were impregnated with opium or mandragora and placed in the mouth or nose.
- Here's Cleopatra calling out ‘give me mandragora, that I might sleep’.
Old English, via medieval Latin from Latin and Greek mandragoras.
More definitions of mandragoraDefinition of mandragora in:
- The US English dictionary