Definition of mango in English:
noun (plural mangoes or mangos)
1A fleshy, oval, yellowish-red tropical fruit which is eaten ripe or used green for pickles or chutneys.
- Now, those industries have gone and globalisation means that we can buy sun-drenched pineapples, mangoes and passion fruit in the middle of winter.
- You can use almost any fruit you like, but ripe mangoes, apricots and peaches all work particularly well.
- I chop up whatever fruits and vegetables I have available and make a delicious salad including my favourite garbanzo beans and mangoes.
2 (also mango tree) The evergreen tropical Indian tree which bears the mango.
- Mangifera indica, family Anacardiaceae
- I have a mango tree that's been in the ground two years.
- She was kneeling under our mango tree drying out some wheat.
- Last year we featured a gardener who was enjoying summer fruit from a mango tree in his garden.