Definition of mango in English:
noun (plural mangoes or mangos)
1A fleshy, oval, yellowish-red tropical fruit which is eaten ripe or used green for pickles or chutneys.
- Now, those industries have gone and globalisation means that we can buy sun-drenched pineapples, mangoes and passion fruit in the middle of winter.
- You can use almost any fruit you like, but ripe mangoes, apricots and peaches all work particularly well.
- I chop up whatever fruits and vegetables I have available and make a delicious salad including my favourite garbanzo beans and mangoes.
2 (also mango tree) The evergreen tropical Indian tree which bears the mango.
- Mangifera indica, family Anacardiaceae
- I have a mango tree that's been in the ground two years.
- She was kneeling under our mango tree drying out some wheat.
- Last year we featured a gardener who was enjoying summer fruit from a mango tree in his garden.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan