noun[mass noun] Chemistry
A colourless sweet-tasting crystalline alcohol which is found in many plants and is used in various foods and medical products.
- Chemical formula: CH2OH(CHOH)4CH2OH
More example sentences
- The most common sugar alcohols are sorbitol, mannitol, maltitol and xylitol.
- Many diabetic patients replace sugary foods with dietetic foods that contain sugar alcohols such as sorbitol, mannitol, and xylitol.
- Sugar alcohols, including xylitol, mannitol, sorbitol, lactitol and maltitol, do not promote tooth decay or sudden spikes in blood sugar.
Definition of mannitol in:
- The US English dictionary