noun[mass noun] Chemistry
- A sugar of the hexose class which occurs as a component of many natural polysaccharides.
More example sentences
- Chemical formula: C6H12O6
- Other sugars found in foods, such as sucrose (table sugar), fructose (fruit sugar) and mannose are converted to glucose almost as quickly as starch is.
- These data suggest that galactose and mannose may compete with glucose for uptake, whereas sucrose and fructose do not.
- Asian and African populations showed selection in genes affecting the metabolism of the plant sugars mannose and sucrose.
late 19th century: from mannite 'mannitol' + -ose2.
More definitions of mannoseDefinition of mannose in:
- The US English dictionary