- 1A book, document, or piece of music written by hand rather than typed or printed: an illuminated manuscript early Gothic manuscriptsMore example sentences
- The books and manuscripts were written on vellum, a preparation of calf, goat and sheep skins.
- Priceless books and manuscripts will receive special protection as the restoration of a library gets underway.
- An entire manuscript of Urdu written in Roman is a precious treasure of the Lahore Museum.
- 1.1An author’s handwritten or typed text that has not yet been published: several manuscripts in his own hand [mass noun]: her autobiography remained in manuscriptMore example sentences
- We are attracting more manuscripts and publishing more articles than ever before.
- All authors were responsible for revising the manuscript and for final approval of the paper.
- Informed consent for this purpose requires that the patient should be shown the manuscript to be published.
late 16th century: from medieval Latin manuscriptus, from manu 'by hand' + scriptus 'written' (past participle of scribere).