A tree or shrub with lobed leaves, winged fruits, and colourful autumn foliage, grown as an ornamental or for its timber or syrupy sap.
- Genus Acer, family Aceraceae: many species, including the common European field maple (A. campestre) and the North American sugar maple (A. saccharum)
More example sentences
- Although set in 24 acres of land, extra measures have been taken to plant more oaks, sycamores, maples and horse chestnut trees to provide increased privacy.
- Sugar maples, red maples, dogwood, sweet gum, black gum and sourwood can be brilliant red or yellow.
- Among the others are tanoaks, California black oaks, Shreve's oaks, madrones, rhododendrons, manzanita, big leaf maples and bay laurels.
Old English mapel (as the first element of mapeltrēow, mapulder 'maple tree'); used as an independent word from Middle English.
More definitions of mapleDefinition of maple in:
- The US English dictionary