Definition of marked in English:
1Having a visible mark or marking: a houseplant with beautifully marked, dark green leaves
More example sentences
- What makes this Arum so different is that its beautifully shaped, marked leaves appear in the fall and stay green all winter.
- And one has to wonder, too, whether anybody who really was streetwise would get into a car so visibly marked.
- She picked up another green marked soldier searching for a sign of rank.
1.1(Of playing cards) having distinctive marks on their backs to assist cheating.
- He would never say where he had got it from, though wherever it was he'd been, it was rumoured he'd taken his marked playing cards and his gun with him.
- The marked cards for the system come from United States Playing Card Co.
- This deck appears as a slightly battered and marked casino deck from The Sands that consists entirely of face cards.
2Clearly noticeable: a marked increase in UK sales
More example sentences
- She said the school has shown a marked improvement this year in their efforts to retain the green flag.
- Demand in Waterford City Centre for good retail locations is extremely strong and there has been a marked scarcity of suitable properties.
- Intensive immunization campaigns have resulted in a marked decrease in polio throughout the world.
noticeable, pronounced, decided, distinct, striking, clear, glaring, blatant, unmistakable, obvious, plain, manifest, patent, palpable, considerable, remarkable, prominent, signal, significant, great, substantial, strong, conspicuous, notable, noted, pointed, salient, recognizable, identifiable, distinguishable, discernible, apparent, evident, open, written all over one
- Example sentences
- Upon this invariable theme/rheme (left/right) structure the whole textual edifice is erected using the well-established linguistic concept of markedness.
- Is idiosyncrasy some sort of statistical measure of deviation from central tendency or is it to be based on notions like markedness of parameter settings and/or presence or absence of peripheral constructs?
- The markedness of this dislocation may vary from person to person, and from time to time, but clearly affects the knowledge any one person could have of the list, and how it worked.
Words that rhyme with markedunremarked
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.