Definition of masterpiece in English:
1A work of outstanding artistry, skill, or workmanship: a great literary masterpiece
More example sentences
- It was noted for its woodcuts and is still considered one of the masterpieces of graphic art.
- His clocks were masterpieces of skill, precision, ingenuity, and determination.
- Consequently, the masterpieces of sculpture and painting were bought in and around their time and many, if not most, are permanently lodged in museums.
1.1 historical A piece of work by a craftsman accepted as qualification for membership of a guild as an acknowledged master.
- As an apprentice, you will eventually be preparing yourself to eventually present your masterpiece at the Great Guild Hall - hired out as a journeyman, or hired day laborer for one of our town's projects.
- The next hurdle was to produce a masterpiece that would satisfy the master of the guild so that he could assume the title of master craftsmen and would thus get membership in the guild.
- This resulted in the practice of an apprentice producing a "masterpiece" at the end of his training which he presented to the guild's officers as proof of his ability to practice the trade.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.