- Inflammation of the mammary gland in the breast or udder, typically due to bacterial infection via a damaged nipple or teat.More example sentences
- Infections such as mastitis and cellulitis tend to be erythematous, tender, and warm to the touch; they may be more circumscribed if an abscess has formed.
- The most common problem is nipple irritation and associated with that is mastitis, or inflammation and infection in the breast.
- Milk from cows treated with it is likely to contain pus from their udders since the hormone leads to mastitis, or udder infection.
mid 19th century: from Greek mastos 'breast' + -itis.
More definitions of mastitisDefinition of mastitis in:
- The US English dictionary