- 1A Christian service of morning prayer, especially in the Anglican Church.More example sentences
- Morning prayer, known as matins, and evening prayer, known as vespers or evensong, are most common.
- Most importantly they had to pray seven times a day from the matins in the early morning to the vespers in the evening.
- Shrouded by early morning mists, cloaked in oak and beech woods that echo with the sound of matin bells and Gregorian chant, these venerable ruins bring the most distant history to life.
Middle English: from Old French matines, plural (influenced by Church Latin matutinae 'morning prayers') of matin 'morning', from Latin matutinum, neuter of matutinus 'early in the morning', from Matuta, the name of the dawn goddess.
More definitions of matinsDefinition of matins in:
- The US English dictionary