Definition of maximalist in English:
(Especially in politics) a person who holds extreme views and is not prepared to compromise.
- As the referendum approached, longstanding splits between the minimalists and maximalists within the republican movement became significant.
- Despite the urging of the maximalists, Ireland never became directly involved with the Nonaligned Movement, nor did it develop particularly close relations with the other European neutrals.
- Territorial maximalists are pushing hard for an ‘encirclement fence.’
adjectiveBack to top
Of or denoting an extreme opinion: the maximalist interpretation is more promising
More example sentences
- I wanted to make a minimalist and maximalist record at the same time - so I did.
- But those details will tell us a lot about whether we're pursuing a minimalist or maximalist plan.
- The point is that the people who are really worth listening to aren't making absolute or maximalist statements or predictions.
- Example sentences
- Nationalist maximalism, remember, is a rhetorical mode of politics that precludes real political progress by narrowing the range possibilities to the most fervently wished for, if unattainable, national goals.
- It's maximalism in the extreme - and with barely time to breathe between brass charts, peals of synthesizer, elaborate string parts, and big three-part harmonies, it's easy to get lost in the labyrinthine arrangements.
- The project is based primarily on improvisation and utilising ‘found sounds' and explores aspects of both minimalism and maximalism.
Definition of maximalist in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan