Definition of McCarthyism in English:
A vociferous campaign against alleged communists in the US government and other institutions carried out under Senator Joseph McCarthy in the period 1950-4. Many of the accused were blacklisted or lost their jobs, though most did not in fact belong to the Communist Party.
- Computergate was a chilling welcome to a new McCarthyism, a McCarthyism not run by a centralized political authority, but enabled by a specific way of understanding and treating computer technology.
- In the school's library I found a remnant of McCarthyism stamped inside the cover of a book.
- The effect of McCarthyism on people in government and in the entertainment industry has been widely publicized.
- Example sentences
- I would hope that all the institutions represented here would join in a protest against this McCarthyite attempt to suppress dissident views.
- In the absence of that, this is just a McCarthyist witch-hunt.
- They think it's a McCarthyite vendetta against Dr Wakefield.
Pronunciation: /məˈkɑːθɪʌɪt/(also McCarthyist) adjective& noun
Definition of McCarthyism in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.