1(In the US) a federal system of health insurance for people over 65 years of age.
- How did Medicare, the federal health insurance program for the elderly, respond?
- Kogan observes that the fastest growing federal programs are Medicare and Medicaid.
- This regulation is considered the most staggering health care law since Medicare.
1.1(In Canada and Australia) a national health-care scheme financed by taxation.
- The lack of prescription coverage under Medicare is a national scandal.
- Last year it was Medicare, Australia's public insurance scheme, which was under fire.
- The only way to hold to those principles is to have a tax-based funding scheme such as Medicare.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: Medi|care
Definition of Medicare in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.