Definition of medulla in English:
1The inner region of an organ or tissue, especially when it is distinct from the outer region or cortex (as in a kidney, an adrenal gland, or hair): the adrenal medulla produces adrenaline
More example sentences
- The adrenal cortex is of mesodermal origin, whereas the adrenal medulla is derived from the neural crest.
- The biopsy specimen consisted of renal cortex and outer medulla and contained 17 glomeruli.
- The nodules did not invade the adrenal capsule or adrenal medulla.
1.1 short for medulla oblongata.
- The brainstem consists of the midbrain, pons and medulla, structures located deep in the back of the brain.
- Similar changes may be seen in the medulla and upper brain stem.
- Removal of the meninges and some cranial nerve roots allow salient features of the ventral or anterior aspect of the medulla and pons to be examined more easily.
- Example sentences
- Radiologic examination in all cases except one revealed a well-circumscribed mass in the hilar and medullary region of the kidney.
- On the right is seen the large, medullary area of the cerebral hemisphere, surrounded by a layer of gray cortical matter.
- In all reported cases of renal medullary carcinoma in which the race was known, the patients have been black.
Late Middle English (in the sense 'bone marrow'): from Latin, 'pith or marrow'.
Words that rhyme with medullacolour (US color), cruller, culler, mullah, Muller, nullah, sculler, Sulla
Definition of medulla in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.