noun[mass noun] Indian
1The art or practice of applying temporary henna tattoos, especially as part of a bride or groom’s preparations for a wedding.
- Only a few Western brides have adopted mehndi as a wedding tradition, but many women use it as a fashion statement and a means of personal expression.
- Earlier, Lakshmi Kirti, a cosmetologist and aroma therapist, conducted a demonstration on the preparation and use of mehndi.
- You don't need to be a trained artist to apply mehndi.
1.1 [count noun] A temporary henna tattoo.
- No trip to Little India would be complete without getting a mehndi, or temporary henna tattoo.
- Another thing that a mehndi would be incomplete without would be henna itself.
- She also taught the students how to make a mehndi cone.
Early 19th century (originally denoting the henna plant): Hindi, from Sanskrit mendhikā 'henna plant'.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: mehndi
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.