- Menstrual cycles can occur without ovulation taking place as the menopause approaches.
- Loss of muscle increases six-fold at the time of the menopause so it may have a connection with estrogen.
- Smoking can cause infertility and an early menopause in women, and sperm problems in men.
- Smokers and childless women are known to go through the menopause at a younger age than other women.
- Every woman who has periods will go through the menopause at some time in her life, usually between the ages of 42 and 58.
- Some view the menopause as a significant stage in ageing.
month from Old English:
A month corresponds to the period of time of the moon's revolution, and the words month and moon are related. Their ancient ancestor is also the source of Greek mēn ‘month’, from which English took menstruate (Late Middle English), menopause (late 19th century), and similar words. Shops and entertainments now open on Sundays, but in the past this was not necessarily so. Where Christianity was the dominant religion, restrictions on pleasure and activity meant that Sundays were quiet, private days. This may be behind the expression a month of Sundays, ‘a very long, seemingly endless period of time’. The expression is known from 1836 in The Clockmaker by Thomas Chandler Haliburton: ‘Mr. Slick…told him all the little girls there would fall in love with him, for they didn't see such a beautiful face once in a month of Sundays.’
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: meno|pause
Definition of menopause in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.