1A magician who performs feats that apparently demonstrate extraordinary mental powers, such as mind-reading.
- You feed chickens to cows you mentalist.
- I am a mentalist with over a dozen years' experience reading minds and astonishing audiences.
- You could, if you were a mentalist, spend £5,000 on a suit, or a cooker, or a set of speakers for your drawing room.
Words that rhyme with mentalistdocumentalist, environmentalist, experimentalist, fundamentalist, instrumentalist, orientalist, ornamentalist, sentimentalist, transcendentalist
An adherent of mentalism.
- ‘Psychics’ who are honest about their deception call themselves mentalists and call their art magic or conjuring.
- Many magicians do what Geller does, but they call themselves magicians, conjurers, or mentalists.
- The performance of mentalists may be closer to that of the pseudo-psychics than to magicians.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to mentalists or mentalism.
- Marvin Harris was a brilliant, formidable critic of everyone who flirted with neo-Kantian philosophical idealism and mentalist definitions of social phenomena, from Hegel to Weber and Parsons.
- It is thus more mentalist than sociobiology, and draws on the explanatory tools of cognitive science, such as the use of the language of information processing to describe the mind.
- Chris Weston's detailed, sophisticated art bridges the mundane and the mentalist.
- Example sentences
- During this period, he became a leading figure in US linguistics, replacing a mechanistic and behaviouristic view of language (based on the work of Bloomfield) with a mentalistic and generative approach.
- Descartes took a strong mentalistic position, arguing that the mind operated according to its own principles and that it came stocked with innate ideas.
- Convinced that psychology could be a wholly objective science, Watson called for reform in its content and its methods and for the rejection of mentalistic terms such as ‘mind ‘and ‘consciousness.’
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.