verb[with object] (usually as adjective mercerized)
- Treat (cotton fabric or thread) under tension with caustic alkali to impart strength and lustre: shorts in white mercerized cottonMore example sentences
- It's the new fabrics and finishes that will attract the buzz, like mercerized jacquards and pima cotton and pima blended knits, but the good old collar and placket knit polo will march on.
- ‘The best place to make mercerized fabrics is still Italy, but they are very expensive,’ says Kwok.
- Made of 60s 2-ply mercerized 100% cotton jersey with subtle variegated stripe pattern.
mid 19th century: from the name of John Mercer (died 1866), said to have invented the process, + -ize.
More definitions of mercerizeDefinition of mercerize in:
- The US English dictionary