- A term which denotes part of something but which is used to refer to the whole of it, e.g. faces when used to mean people in I see several familiar faces present.More example sentences
- This time we will add meronyms to describe the ingredients of my favorite cookie, and add a hypernym for ‘dessert’.
- Meronyms - words that name a part of what your keyword or keyphrases signify (e.g. ‘brim’ and ‘crown’ are meronyms of ‘hat’)
- A finger is a part of a hand, thus hand is the holonym of finger; and finger is a meronym of hand.
- More example sentences
- The table contains the attempt to classify the meronymy relation by using quantificational tags.
- The paper does reveal a proper analysis of meronymy, once one penetrates the formalism and the notation.
- The choice is yours: you can either continue to treat hyponymy and meronymy as being generally connected to synonymy, or follow the newer configuration in the third edition of the book.
from Greek meros 'part' + onuma 'name'.
More definitions of meronymDefinition of meronym in:
- The US English dictionary