- A European moth with greyish-green coloration that camouflages it when at rest on lichen-covered bark.
More example sentences
- Dichonia aprilina, family Noctuidae
- Among the species of moth present are lesser belle, sub-angled wave and scarce merveille du jour.
- The ancient woodland at Orlestone Forest lies within a larger area of woodland, renowned for its moths and butterflies, for example the scarce merveille du jour, ringlet, white admiral and grizzled skipper.
- In other species, the adults are superbly camouflaged as well, including the evocatively-named merveille du jour, which, with its green and black patterning, blends in perfectly on lichen-covered trunks.
late 19th century: from French, literally 'wonder of the day'.