- Characteristic of or relating to metaphor; figurative: many of our metaphorical expressions develop from our perceptions of the bodyMore example sentences
- But is a call to metaphorical arms against an imaginary adversary counter-productive?
- Salt's ability to preserve and sustain life has made it a metaphorical symbol in every religion.
- All the proposed reasons given have been either metaphorical or analogous.
- More example sentences
- The usual suspect, Mr Duff, was never really in the running - literally as well as metaphorically.
- The frescos metaphorically exalted, from outer tier to inner tier, the glories of an immense maritime empire.
- You find yourself sympathising with him even as you metaphorically shield your eyes from yet another throat being cut or head being smashed in.