verb[no object] Medicine
- (Of a cancer) spread to other sites in the body by metastasis: his cancer had metastasized to the liver (as adjective metastasizing) metastasizing tumour cellsMore example sentences
- Cancer cells can also metastasize from their original site to other parts of the body.
- Lung cancers often metastasize to the brain, liver, adrenals, bone, and kidneys but evaluation of these organs is usually directed by symptoms and clinical suspicion rather than by routine scanning.
- In addition, cancers can metastasize by penetrating into blood vessels, lymphatics, and body cavities.
More definitions of metastasizeDefinition of metastasize in:
- The US English dictionary