Definition of metatarsal in English:
1Any of the bones of the foot.
- Common sites are the tibia, fibula, metatarsals, lumbar spine (pars interarticularis), and the hip (proximal femur).
- On inspection, the toes angle abruptly toward the midline, creating a C-shaped lateral foot border with a prominent styloid process of the fifth metatarsal.
- They stated that fractures of the proximal part of the diaphysis of the fifth metatarsal mainly occurred in basketball and soccer players.
1.1Any of the bones in an animal’s hindlimb equivalent to the metatarsals.
- The third and fourth metacarpals (front limbs) and metatarsals (hind limbs) are fused to form an elongated cannon bone (a condition also seen in antilocaprids and bovids).
- There is no indication of any special differentiation of the fifth metatarsal, which is hooked in other squamates.
- The feathers on the metatarsals were lost on the back wings.
Definition of metatarsal in:
- US English dictionary