1A major division of the animal kingdom that comprises all animals other than protozoans and sponges. They are multicellular animals with differentiated tissues.
- Subkingdom Metazoa, kingdom Animalia
- Not only Metazoa, but other multicellular clades such as Fungii and Metaphyta, must also be organized so that their basic body parts-differentiated cell types-are assembled into a hierarchy of functional associations.
- Now, based on the study with protein molecules, Fungi are regarded as the nearest-neighbor kingdom of the Metazoa, a conclusion which is supported by others.
- Belt desmosomes are the constituent character of the Epitheliazoa, the next higher taxon above the Porifera within the Metazoa, comprising the taxa Placozoa and Eumetazoa.
1.1 (metazoa) Animals of the Metazoa division.
- These results suggest that insulin-like genes have coevolved with the appearance of the metazoa (multicellular animals with differentiated tissues).
- Cnidarians may be informative about body plan evolution in the metazoa both because of what they share with bilaterians and what they lack.
- Consider the possibility that the destruction of the Drosophila model will prove generally true, if not for all organisms perhaps, then at least for metazoa.
Modern Latin (plural), from meta- (expressing change) + Greek zōia (plural of zōion 'animal').
Definition of Metazoa in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.