- The scientific study of measurement.More example sentences
- The Swedish physicist prized Michelson's use of his interferometer in metrology and, in particular, for determining experimentally the length of the international metre.
- As a result of the extremely small line width of less than 5 MHz, possible applications are also in spectroscopy, metrology, sensor technology, and atomic physics.
- The company designs, sells and manufactures fibre-optic and laser products for a number of markets, including biotechnology, semi-conductor and scientific metrology.
- More example sentences
- The 1907 Nobel Prize for Physics therefore went to Michelson for his ‘optical precision instruments and the spectroscopic and metrological investigations carried out with their aid’.
- A new metrological device promises to speed the development of micromachines.
- In Kendal, Dalton started to keep a metrological journal, he made his own thermometers, barometers and other instruments.
early 19th century: from Greek metron 'measure' + -logy.
More definitions of metrologyDefinition of metrology in:
- The US English dictionary