Definition of micrite in English:
noun[mass noun] Geology
1Microcrystalline calcite present in some types of limestone.
- Petrographic study reveals clusters of small grapestone particles, including benthic foraminifera, spines and calcite crystals encrusted by micrite.
- The formation of botryoidal aragonite and clotted micrite was followed by silicification of carbonate phases and precipitation of authigenic quartz.
- The irregular topography of this bedding surface is covered by a thin veneer of micrite with limonite disseminated throughout.
1.1Limestone consisting chiefly of micrite.
- These fades grade upwards into ammonite-rich, bioturbated, interbedded nodular micrite, oncolitic limestone and mudstone which are interpreted as condensed zone deposits.
- The Middle Member is 57.3 m thick and is mainly composed of gravel-bearing calcarenite, bioclastic limestone, bioclastic micrite, and reef limestone.
- This interpretation appears supported by the predominant occurrence of Platystrophia in soft-weathering micrite and calcareous mudstone.
1950s: from micr(ocrystalline) + -ite1.
Definition of micrite in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan