Definition of microcephaly in English:
noun[mass noun] Medicine
Abnormal smallness of the head, a congenital condition associated with incomplete brain development.
- Congenital brain anomalies like microcephaly, abnormal cortical mantle formation, agenesis of the corpus callosum have been reported.
- She has a number of complex conditions including congenital microcephaly and cerebral palsy.
- However, three or more minor malformations, especially if associated with short stature or failure to thrive, microcephaly or developmental delay, should engender further investigation.
- Example sentences
- Affected children are microcephalic, have intractable seizures, and their neurological development is severely impaired.
- Specifically, the head circumference of a microcephalic infant, measured by encircling the forehead and the occiput, or back of the skull, is three standard deviations or more below normal.
- The scaling of brain to body isn't at all what we'd expect to find in pygmies, and the shape is all wrong to be a microcephalic.
- Example sentences
- Being microcephalous [having an abnormally tiny head] is a misfortune, and nothing to boast of.
- There is a happy compromise, a synthesis: just agree that he's microcephalous but with a higher brain-fat ratio than your average pinhead.
- Because Smith's head is small for his shoulders you call him microcephalous; if it had been large, you'd have called it water-on-the-brain.
Pronunciation: /-sɪˈfalɪk, -kɛˈfalɪk/adjective& noun
Pronunciation: /-ˈsɛf(ə)ləs, -ˈkɛf-/adjective
Definition of microcephaly in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan