Definition of micrococcus in English:
noun (plural micrococci ˌmʌɪkrəʊˈkɒk(s)ʌɪˌmʌɪkrəʊˈkɒk(s)i)
A spherical bacterium found on dead or decaying organic matter.
- Family Micrococcaceae of Gram-positive non-motile bacteria, in particular the genera Micrococcus and Staphylococcus
- The only organisms isolated were diphtheroids, coagulase-negative staphylococci, and micrococci.
- The majority of flora isolated were gram-positive cocci, including coagulase-negative staphylococci and micrococci, present in all positive cultures.
- Spirochetes live in our gums; staphylococci, micrococci, and a small yeast from the genus Pityrosporon clothe our hides.
- 1micrococcal adjective
- Example sentences
- DNA was digested to mononucleotides with micrococcal nuclease and spleen phosphodiesterase at 37°C for 3.5 h.
- The spt6-140 mutation alters transcription and chromatin in our inverted repeats, as determined by Northern and micrococcal nuclease sensitivity analyses, respectively.
- To further study the basis for these changes in chromatin organization, we used micrococcal nuclease digestion to determine the arrangement of nucleosomes in this region.
Definition of micrococcus in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.