Definition of micrococcus in English:
noun (plural micrococci /-ˈkɒk(s)ʌɪ, -(s)i/)
A spherical bacterium found on dead or decaying organic matter.
- Family Micrococcaceae of Gram-positive non-motile bacteria, in particular the genera Micrococcus and Staphylococcus
- The only organisms isolated were diphtheroids, coagulase-negative staphylococci, and micrococci.
- The majority of flora isolated were gram-positive cocci, including coagulase-negative staphylococci and micrococci, present in all positive cultures.
- Spirochetes live in our gums; staphylococci, micrococci, and a small yeast from the genus Pityrosporon clothe our hides.
- Example sentences
- DNA was digested to mononucleotides with micrococcal nuclease and spleen phosphodiesterase at 37°C for 3.5 h.
- The spt6-140 mutation alters transcription and chromatin in our inverted repeats, as determined by Northern and micrococcal nuclease sensitivity analyses, respectively.
- To further study the basis for these changes in chromatin organization, we used micrococcal nuclease digestion to determine the arrangement of nucleosomes in this region.
Definition of micrococcus in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan