- An isolated fragment of continental crust forming part of a small crust plate.More example sentences
- Subduction must therefore have taken place beneath a microcontinent or an island-arc that later collided with Baltica to produce the early Caledonian Finnmarkian orogeny.
- Notably, the Urals developed by accretion of island arcs and microcontinents.
- Determining the significance of the long-term subduction-related tectonic processes as opposed to collisions by small microcontinents for the magmatic and tectonic evolution of SE Asia remains ambiguous.
More definitions of microcontinentDefinition of microcontinent in:
- The US English dictionary