noun[mass noun] Ecology
- Microscopic interstitial animals living in the soil.More example sentences
- In other words, much of metazoan evolution was cryptic, bound up in tiny animals devoid of skeletons and perhaps surviving as interstitial benthic microfauna.
- It is formed from decaying plant roots, leaves, etc. deposited at the surface, and the remains of microflora and microfauna living in the soil.
- Diverse crop species encourage soil microfauna, which can help reduce soilborne plant diseases.
More definitions of microfaunaDefinition of microfauna in:
- The US English dictionary