- A unit of length equal to one millionth of a metre, used in many technological and scientific fields.More example sentences
- Plastic shopping bags are currently about 15 microns thick (a micron is a thousandth of a millimetre).
- Nanowires are crystals only a few nanometers in diameter but up to several microns in length.
- While microscopic, the particles are large enough to be measured in microns, or millionths of a meter.
late 19th century: from Greek mikron, neuter of mikros 'small'.
More definitions of micronDefinition of micron in:
- The US English dictionary