Definition of micropyle in English:
1 Botany A small opening in the surface of an ovule, through which the pollen tube penetrates, often visible as a small pore in the ripe seed.
- It remains to be studied exactly how the pollen tubes reach the micropyle of the ovules.
- However, pollen tubes from control pollen showed normal morphology when growing towards the micropyle of an ovule in a HTS plant.
- Within the ovary, pollen tubes also grew in the ECM to penetrate the micropyle and subsequently grew intercellularly within the nucellus up to the embryo sac.
1.1 Zoology A small opening in the egg of a fish, insect, etc., through which spermatozoa can enter.
- Coupling these screens with a visual assessment of seed formation has yielded mutants defective in FG development or in the ability of pollen tubes to release their sperm after entering the micropyle.
- In a favorable situation, an opening called the micropyle appears and releases amoebocytes, which differentiate into cells of all the other types.
- Each cupule is recurved, has a lip-like projection near the point of attachment, and contains several ovules arranged in a curved row with their micropyles facing the cupule opening.
Definition of micropyle in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.